This is one of the most difficult posts I’ve had to write, as it’s the time where I choose some friends over others in whom I’ll support, and whom I’m asking my friends and supporters to support as well. For those not selected – with a field this talented, it was inevitable some very talented people will be left off – if you’re curious as to why I chose someone else over you, please just email or call me, and I’m happy to talk you through my decision making process. Nominate these people on September 20th at Charles Tupper School.
City Council (8 Candidates)
- George Chow – has done an excellent job these past years, I look forward to seeing what he can do with a majority.
- Heather Deal – another incumbent who deserves re-election, she, to me, has been the most effective councilor for Vision these past three years.
- David Eby – His passion and articulateness in dealing with serious issues have won him my support.
- Heather Harrison – she was oh-so-close last time, and has real credibility on sustainability initiatives.
- Raymond Louie – He was my choice for mayoral candidate, and I think he’ll be an excellent councillor still.
- Kerry Jang – an academic with expertise and care in dealing with community mental health issues; I feel he and David Eby together round an excellent slate to help deal with the homeless and mental health crisis in vancouver
- Andrea Reimer – An environmentalist with ridiculous amounts of energy and solid credibility.
- Tim Stevenson – I love his slightly ‘rogue’ persona, not to mention the incredible service he’s done over the past years as a councillor.
Park Board (4 Candidates)
- Constance Barnes – I believe that she can speak both to family & arts issues on the parks board. She also has more energy than virtually anyone I know.
- Sarah Blyth – a passionate advocate for youth and ‘alternative’ sports, she’s shown a clear ability to generate consensus and win people over to her point of view.
- James Gill – I don’t believe there’s another candidate at any level who knows more about the process and arcana of the park board.
- Steven Tannock – Who else did you expect? Nominate me to restore trust to the Park Board and to bring the communication & consultation process into the 21st century.
School Board (4 Candidates)
- Patti Bacchus – A long time advocate for children with disabilities, she’ll bring passion and a deep understanding of the VSB from her time on the other side of the fence
- Mike Lombardi – with amazing experience and a genuine likability, his experience and skills will be critical in consensus building
- Helesia Luke – an author, and more of a policy-wonk than the others, she likewise has long experience on PACs and child-support activism.
- Stepan Vdovine – Previously a Board member in Maple Ridge, Stepan is young, and his youthful energy and committment is required and should be encouraged. Despite his youth, his previous Board-member experience will be critical to help the others navigate the VSB,