This comes from Brishen. From where he got it, I admit, I’m none too sure…:
Over the last few weeks the B.C. Liberal government has quietly cancelled or
suspended millions of dollars worth of important programs around the
There were no news releases. No press conferences. The government is simply
hoping that you won’t notice.
Here’s a list of the cuts they don’t want you to know about:
– new science building at the University of Victoria, which has been planned
for over a year ($28 million)
– community archives grants program, which helps community groups foster the
development of historical records ($175,000)
– a program to provide additional financial support to low-income people
temporarily unable to work for medical reasons; about 4000 British
Columbians would have been helped by the program ($6.8 million)
– two of the province’s six residential tenancy offices, which provide
information and dispute assistance to landlords and tenants, will close in
Vancouver and Nanaimo
– $9.41 million construction of Northwest Community College in Prince Rupert
– $5.31 million expansion of Douglas College in New Westminster
– $10.73 million classroom replacement at University College of the Fraser
Valley’s Chilliwack campus
– $1.37 million in renovations at the College of New Caledonia in Burns Lake
– $1.64 million renovations at University College of the Cariboo in Kamloops
– $1.1 million classroom addition at North Island College in Courtenay
– $3.09 million for the Justice Institute of B.C. in New Westminster
– $3.5 million for Kwantlen College’s Cloverdale site
– $3.37 million for Northern Lights College in Dawson Creek
– $1.9 million for the College of the Rockies in Cranbrook
– a program to support low-income AIDS and cancer patients with an
additional $300 in cash, vitamins and minerals each month ($6 million)
More cuts to important programs are expected. B.C. Finance Minister Gary
Collins has repeatedly downgraded the province’s economic projections,
making it ever more clear that the B.C. Liberal’s reckless tax cuts will not
be able to pay for themselves.
Uh yeah. That’s what I call not cutting education or healthcare too.
Other Campbell news found within 2 minutes of surfing.
Here’s some more articles from Canada.com:
•Unkindest tax cut of all – Campbell axes civil servants because he can’t pay them after the tax cuts.
•Smoke, mirrors and ‘downsizing’ – other governmental downsizing projects in recent BC history, and why this latest set is a good thing.
•Campbell promises cuts will be as ‘painless as possible’ – Campbell defends his budget cuts
•Campbell catching up in sleaziness – an angry reader about one of Campbell’s great ideas.
•‘Yes, tighten the borders and ship all illegals home’ – This guys likes Campbell, but apparently, he’s an idiot.
•Campbell backs for-profit care – I think the title says it all here.
I got these, as well as some others, from going to Canada.com and doing a search for Gordon Campbell